North County Police Cooperative chief suspended
In June 2015, the North County Police Cooperative was formed. The department has been led by Chief Tim Swope and eventually came to police the municipalities of Vinita Park, Pine Lawn, Charlack, Wellston, Velda Village Hills, Beverly Hills, Uplands Park and Dellwood – a combined population over 16,000 residents.
This week, we learned that Chief Tim Swope has been suspended, but no officials have been willing to disclose the reason.
- It has been 72 hours since news broke of the Chief’s suspension, and citizens are still seeking an explanation.
WHY THIS MATTERS: In their study on policing in St. Louis, the Police Executive Research Forum pointed out “in a region with so many small communities, the erosion of trust in any one police department can undermine overall trust in ‘the police.‘”
- Transparency and timely information are critical to building trust with citizens.
Zero Tax Rate In Des Peres For 24th Year
“For the 24th year, the city of Des Peres will have an annual tax rate at zero dollars per $100 of assessed valuation on real and personal property.”
BE IN THE KNOW: Better Together research shows Des Peres is one of 10 cities in St. Louis County thatdoesn’t have a municipal residential property tax.
WHY THIS MATTERS: Des Peres’ roughly 8,500 residents have a median household income of $116,000, enjoy the finest municipal services in the region, and yet they pay no municipal property tax.
- West County Mall is situated in Des Peres and is a destination shopping center for the St. Louis region.
- Des Peres collects $12.7 million in sales taxes (fully 60% of their total revenue) from the mall and other smaller commercial sites.
- More than half of all revenue in Des Peres comes from citizens outside its borders.
Yet, Des Peres residents enjoy premium municipal services like a state-of-the-art recreation facility and free trash pickup and leaf collection.
Send your feedback to bettertogether@
Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend!