Report highlights feedback learned from town hall attendees and online survey respondents
St. Louis, MO (April 12, 2018) – Throughout October and November 2017, Better Together hosted a series of town hall discussions on behalf of the St. Louis City-County Governance Task Force. These discussions were designed to provide the five-person task force with community feedback regarding the possible reorganization of municipal services within the City of Saint Louis and Saint Louis County. Utilizing the public’s feedback, along with fact-driven research assembled by Better Together, the task force is developing recommendations to improve the cost and quality of municipal services in the St. Louis region.
Summarized in the report is feedback from the initial five citizen forums, in which 270 residents attended the events. An additional 800 residents responded to the same questions via an online survey.
Town hall attendees and online survey respondents noted the following throughout this first phase of outreach:
- Eight of 10 (82%) think it is likely or very likely that fragmentation impacts regional economic growth.
- Eight of 10 (84%) think it is likely or very likely that fragmentation impacts the financial stability and sustainability of some municipalities.
- Eight of 10 (80%) think if all municipalities are stronger, benefits accrue to their own municipality.
- Nearly 9 of 10 (88%) think it is important or very important for all residents to receive consistent service quality and professionalism.
- When asked which public services should be considered for possible reorganization, the number one response was policing.
Nearly one of four (24%) felt all services should be considered for possible reorganization
- Only four percent of respondents felt no services should be assessed or evaluated for possible reorganization.
“We hope to recommend a structure that allows the St. Louis region to provide opportunities for all our citizens while celebrating the uniqueness that has made St. Louis a wonderful place to call home,” said Task Force member, Dr. Will Ross. “Getting out into the community and hearing from citizens directly is allowing us to formulate ideas and recommendations based on the values of residents.”
Citizen forums and survey collection is an ongoing effort of the Task Force. Residents of the City of St. Louis, St. Louis County, and the 89 municipalities within St. Louis County are encouraged to take the citizen input survey at http://www.bettertogetherstl.com/stltaskforcesurvey .
To view the report in its entirety, please visit www.bettertogetherstl.com/task-force .